Saturday, May 3, 2014

Scoot On. 26 States. And Counting.



Many of you know that in addition to Lutheran and Episcopal ministry, and in addition to justice stuff, one of my loves, and one of my main "hobbies" is scooting. Yes. Scooting. 


DC, April 25, 2014, post-thunderstorm-scooting
I am proud to announce that, as of Thursday, May 1, 2014, I have been to over one half of the US States by Scooter, from Chicago (not counting Kansas where I bought the first scooter, then road it to Nebraska, where I was living at the time). Some of you have scooted with me. Thanks for the company! 

As I've traveled, I've traveled by Honda Helix, or by my current scooter, a Honda Silverwing. 

The Silverwing is a big scooter (600), and makes travelling quicker. 

The Helix was a smaller scooter (250). 

On the Helix, I could hit 60mph on level land, if there was no wind--usually in places like Iowa or Nebraska. I once hit 76mph going down a mountain somewhere between Albuquerque and California.  

To reiterate, the Silverwing is much faster.

Honda makes a scooter? 

Yup. And the equation of scooters with Vespas is quite annoying. 



Easter in Franklin, WI, 2014, with my nephews and niece
So cut it out. 

A scooter is different from a motorcycle. You sit on a scooter like you sit on a chair. You straddle a motorcycle like you straddle a horse. My scooter happens to be automatic. Many of them do. 

I prefer Hondas. They are much better than these fly-by-night, one-hit-wonder scooter companies that sell you a bike and then disappear from the face of the earth. 


Below is a list of US states, plus DC. Live in one of the sates not yellow, green, or blue yet? Let me know, you may be a stop on my next scooter vacation. If you're lucky. 

Thanks for letting me share.


Scoot. On.

Bend, Oregon, Mt. Bend Sunset, Visiting Suzy Franke, 2007

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

  • Washington DC

Traveled to by Yellow Honda Helix
Traveled to by Blue Honda Silverwing
Traveled to by Both
























No comments:

Post a Comment